Saturday, September 26, 2009

Begining to feel at home... Kara Beer

Well we have been living in Merida for a little more than two weeks now and I can honestly say that I am beginning to feel like more than just a tourist. The bus system here is no longer so scary and I think I finally know how to get to Wal-mart! Although my Spanish is not anything to be admired, I can already notice an improvement in communication with my home-stay family and with others throughout the city. I can not even begin to describe my excitement when I am able understand the fast-paced dialogues of those around me. To some its considered eavesdropping, but to others, including Phyllis, its just another form of practice, both in fieldwork and in language skills. I am absolutely in love with authentic Mexican cuisine and never want to eat anything else- the food this week has been a drastic improvement from last week when all my home-stay mom would feed me was oreos and ham-and-cheese snadwiches! Along with my new appreciation for Mexican food, I have been fully convinced that sleeping in a hammock is the way to go! Everyday after class I take a short siesta in it and feel totally refreshed afterwards. Last week we went to Progresso, a tiny beach community outside of Merida, and it was wonderful! It takes about $2 to get there and back by bus (which is only about 30 minutes)and is a perfect way to spend a lazy day in the sun. Although we were unable to go this week due to our visit to the U.S consulate, I have a beach chair with my name on it next weekend! I think being so close to a beach is one of my favorite things about Merida. I am from Kentucky and thus am presented with the oppurtunity of a beach about once a year. All-in-all I truly am begining to feel at home here in Merida and am already dreading that day in December when I will have to leave.

1 comment:

  1. As Kara's roomie...I agree. The "comida tipica" is MUCH better than the "American" food we were getting at first!!

    ReplyDelete