Sunday, September 20, 2009

First Week in Mexico- Michael Keach

¡Hola Todos!

Well, I must say that living in Mexico has really opened my eyes to the world, especially the developing world, outside of the United States. I must admit that I miss my family and friends, as well as many of the conveniences that we enjoy in the states. For example, there are no public water fountains (though many places have water coolers, and bottled water is much, much cheaper here), air conditioning is quite scarce (despite the hundred degree midday heat), and internet connections are sketchy at best. I have to walk fifteen minutes to the local cyber café in order to check my email on chat on Facebook. Ketchup sauce, one of my favorite condiments, is heavily rationed as well.

The upside to all this is that I have made some great new friends that I probably would not have met otherwise. I sincerely like everyone on our trip, and its great to see people come out of their shells, so to speak. I have been here for a week, but with all I have done and seen, it seems like much longer (in a good way!). Also, food and drinks cost about half what they do in the states, and tequila can be had for maybe a quarter of the US retail price. Also, a ten mile taxi ride costs about two dollars, which is cheaper than what I pay for gasoline to drive my big truck- except now I don’t have to worry about wear and tear on my vehicle or insurance costs.

The first day I arrived, we stayed in the beautiful Hotel Caribe. The staff was quick to answer all our questions, and hustled our heavy suitcases to our room. In the hallways are beautiful tile mosaics, mostly Christian themed, and busts of influential locals. On the third floor, there is a beautiful swimming pool, which overlooks the beautiful and gigantic 16th century cathedral. The following morning, we toured the governor’s palace, which contains quite a collection of beautiful murals and paintings. We have had an excellent guide, Miguel, who has amassed an incredible amount of interesting information in the twenty years he has been giving tours. Then we walked around Mérida and got our bearings. The next day, it was off to Valladolid. The surrounding rural areas are famous for their breathtaking cenotes- a type of underwater cave spring. We took rail carts pulled by the most miserable and famished little ponies I have ever seen in my life. We visited and swam in three cenotes. The water was so clear and pure that I could see straight to the bottom, perhaps thirty feet down. There were “blind catfish” which looked like plecostamus (sp.? Suckerfish), as well as bats – very cool if you don’t have a fear of them. I tried to feed our pony some of the lettuce from my lunch, but he was quite indifferent- surprising for a starved beast of burden. Then it was off to another hotel for the night, in downtown Valladolid. We toured an ancient monastery, which we discovered was built partially over a cenote. About a decade ago, and expedition was launched, and divers discovered 500 year old pottery and muskets in the bottom of the cenote, which had been used up until the 20th century as the town well. We could not go into the chapel, however, as a local girl was celebrating her quincinera- a Mexican coming-of-age rite, much like our sweet sixteen parties.

The following day, we ventured eastward to tour several ruins. The first was Ek- Balam, with an astoundingly large pyramid centerpiece, and ball courts where the Mayan elite played a game in which the goal was to use the body to bounce a rubber ball through hoops located on either side of the court. Surprisingly, it was the winners of the game who were sacrificed. Miguel explained that the gods would not want the losers, and the winners believed it a privilege to be sacrificed. If it were I, I would probably try my best to throw the game. Afterwards, we drove farther east to Tulum, another ruin. Tulum is located on the sea, and the breeze was really refreshing. Here we saw many iguanas, and an odd type of squirrel with an extra- bushy tail. After Tulum, we went to a beach (I can’t remember the name) located between Cancun and Playa del Carmen. It is supposedly much less of a tourist destination than the other two beaches, and we had a great time soaking up the sun. The next morning we went snorkeling. I saw an assortment of small, colorful fish, but even better were the two nurse sharks I encountered. Though harmless and only three to four feet in length, it was eerie to see them pass around us. I must have an oddly shaped face, though, because my snorkel mask was giving me a noxious headache. I had to take it off every several minutes and float on my back, and therefore I missed the sea turtle sighting.

The next day, we traveled back to Mérida to partake in the celebrations for the Mexican day of Independence. The roads were blocked to accommodate the huge crowd, and a very famous traditional Mexican singer performed amidst sprays of fireworks. It was an awesome night. When we woke up yesterday, we met with our host mothers at the Hotel Caribe, and they took us home to settle in. I have my own room, with plenty of space, and my “mother” is quite the cook, so I am happy. We don’t have a/c, but last night I took a cold shower right before bed, and the fan was able to cool me off enough so that I could fall asleep comfortably. Although I have been sweating copiously, in just a week I have noticed an improvement in the way I cope with the sweltering heat. My host family includes two brothers who are 28 and 34 years old, run a pizza place, and are eager to learn about me. However, it is rough at times because I am the only one in the house who speaks English. On the other hand, I can notice my Spanish improving by leaps and bounds. My comprehension is much better than it used to be, and I can now understand most of what is being said to me, although sometimes I have to ask “slower, please!”

I am having a great time here, and I will be sure to keep you all updated.

Hasta Luego,

Michael Keach

1 comment:

  1. In heaven are the cenotes filled with ketchup?
    alison and phyllis

    ReplyDelete