Monday, September 28, 2009

Maya Lands --- Anna Capaldi

At the Maya ruins of Ek' Balam

I am a travel channel junkie.

I usually follow up with a dose or two of discovery or history channel as well. So, it's easy to understand why I love this program. I see amazing things all the time and have the resources at hand to understand their deeper importance.

I've always been fascinated by the complex mathematical and astronomical knowledge the ancient Maya possessed, but I have not had the opportunity to appreciate their culture. Here, I have already learned much from our guide Miguel, our class on folklore and another class which gives an overview of everything Maya.

The Maya gods rest in the shade of the Ceiba tree

Thus, it was amazing when we were able to see the

equinox at

Dzibilchaltun. Not only was it awing to see such mastery of physics at work, but to stand in the place where the subjects of the chief came to see his mighty power hold the sun in a doorway on a day of his prediction was pretty sweet.

Equinox at Dzibilchaltun

Also, it would be easy and entirely understandable for the beauty of a civilization to be dwarfed by the kind of natural beauty present in the Yucatan, but Maya imagery continues to hold its own. My awe for both grows every day.

The crystal-clear water of a cenote

No comments:

Post a Comment