Monday, October 19, 2009

The Day Post Fall Break and Out of the Ordinary

So t'was the day post fall break and as I awoke in the morning I could already hear my liver and sanity thanking me. As some of you may know we spent a wonderful time in Cozumel, Mexico thoroughly enjoying the scenery, cool temperature, pools, all-inclusive drinks, and Jacuzzi bathtubs. It was an educational trip. I learned about 15 new drinks (such as a dirty monkey, a dirty monkey with a tail, luzes de Habana, Miami Vice, Blue Kamakazis, Lemon Drop, etc etc), how many bottles of hotel shampoo is takes to make a wicked bubble bath in a Jacuzzi (2 bottles), and what happens when you add 17 crazy Centre students to an all inclusive beach resort in another country (fun fun fun). It was a marvelous time, but I'll leave those stories for others to tell. What I will tell you now is exactly what happened today when I woke up...really strange things. For one, the first thing I noticed when I woke up was that it wasn't boiling hot! Not only did I have my clothes on, but I also have my covers on too. This is rare in 110 degree weather (which is the usual temperature around here). And I mean 110 degrees Celsius, jk, Fahrenheit of course. Anyway, it felt completely amazing. I didn't wake up already sweating and sticky from humidity. I carried on my day as I naturally do and after breakfast I waited outside my house like usual for the bus. I waved one down just as I got out of the house and it decided to stop a block ahead of me. He threatenly tapped the gas pedal, and knowing how teasing and impatient the bus drivers sometimes are, I made a run for it. As I got on the bus I noticed that there were only 2 more people. Now if you know about Mexican buses, or any Mexican automobiles, there will always be somewhere between 6 and 100 people squished in there. (Whoa, looked how weird squished is spelt, its pronounced squwished, but there is no w in there, I just googled it!) Anyway, 2 people, plus me, plus bus driver adds up to only 4, in a bus! Let me tell you, that is strange. And after literally 2 minutes it was just me and the bus driver. NEVER HAVE I EVER been on a bus alone! Ever, in Mexico, never ever. I was today. I looked around and realized that no one else left except me. The bus driver caught me off guard and asked me where I was going. "Centre! uhhh I mean Centro, Centro!" In response the bus driver went off the usual route, took a short cut, and went straight to the Centro! This made me wonder if he had been taking short cuts all day which would explain why he didn't have anyone on his bus. Is he trying to get himself fired? Maybe? Clever way of doing it I suppose. As I got off my bus stop I saw a clown dressed up in blue with big yellow shoes. Yes, that's right, I saw a Mexican clown. Anyway, he was checking himself in the mirror, as I passed by he said something in Spanish which I didn't understand, but then immediately showed me his zipper which was located on his shirt from his shoulder to neck, which was unzipped. Ahh, I said to myself, luckily I'm not a dumb ass and I can take hints when I see them. So in response I tied his shoes. JK! I helped him with his god forsaken zipper which after a long 4 minutes of trying, finally noticed it was stuck in a hole in the cloth. The whole time I was wondering if it was some trick and if I was going to be squirted with water or something. Luckily I was not. After a gracias, a smile, and a de nada, I carried on my way to school where everything returned to normal. Normal is not part of this story so I'll fast forward to when I got home. When I got home everything seemed normal, I got off the bus, walked through the gate. As usual Teri (my Mexican dog the most awesomest dog in the world) was waiting by the door. As I opened the door and looked in the house, all the things in the living room, the chairs, the old clock, the lamp, the mirror, etc etc was all replaced by pieces of fallen cement and concrete on the floor, everywhere. What I have just described is what is called house construction, which is what will be going on in my house for the next 15 days. 15 days of hammering and tearing down walls, and ripping out floors. I don't mind really, since I'll be on a trip soon. Anyway, that is what happened to me today, and it might not seem very strange to you but it was for me, especially because I had just come back from vacation, and this is not what my sanity was expecting. Pues... let me leave you with this fun video of some more clowns I've seen on this trip...with love of course!

1 comment: