Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fall Break, etc. - Andy Hagerman

Well yesterday marked the 40th day since we flew in to Yucatan and I must say that it has been quite an interesting experience thus far. On one hand I feel like I just got here a couple of weeks ago, but on the other hand I feel like I've lived here for at least a year. I've fallen into a routine of using the bus system, getting to UNAM, getting back to my house, going to clubs, restaurants, etc. It really feels like I live here, not like I'm visiting, and I like that. I find myself seeing large groups of other whitet people with fanny packs and cameras draped about their necks and I look at them as foreigners although I am one myself. I really feel like an inhabitant of the city and of the country as well. Typically, the majority of our group goes out to the discotech's on the weekends, but this past weekend it was a relief to make our way out of the city of Merida and do a bit of traveling. The four hour ride to Puerto Morelos followed by the 30 minute boat ride to Cozumel flew by and before I knew it we were relaxing by the ocean. The resort atmosphere provided a good, relaxing weekend, but by the time Sunday rolled around, I was quite ready to return to Merida. It was fun, but being surrounded by strictly other Americans at the resort made me feel as if I wasn't in Mexico anymore and quite possibly could have been at any one of a thousand resorts in Florida or another American beach site. However, the island atmosphere was fantastic and was a pretty fun adventure. The weekend before Fall Break Lee, John, Blair, Sarah and I all made the trek to Chichen Itza which was amazing. The bus ride was quite cheap, as was the entrance fee and we were able to see the great structures at the site. I must have taken 1,000 pictures of the large temple alone. I'm quite excited that in a few days we're leaving for Palenque/Chiapas, Oaxaca and Villahermosa...this is the trip I've been counting down for since I first got our schedule. Oaxaca is very famous for Day of the Dead and it's really cool that we get to be there on that occasion...I get to post another blog not too long after that experience so that will be nice. Until the next time, hasta luego, Andres

No comments:

Post a Comment