Monday, October 5, 2009

La Vida en Merida- Sarah Swauger

From the moment I stepped off of the plane in Mexico, this experience has felt like a never ending adventure. The adventure began with a flat tire and cracked windshield on the bus ride from Cancun to Merida. Somehow, my streak of bad luck with the busses has continued from that moment. Last night after waiting for 45 minutes for a bus, we crowded onto it with our huge backpacks and stood jam packed the entire ride home. When we finally had to get off, I had to push Blair through the crowd as everyone around us just watched and laughed at the silly Americans. Aside from those minor issues, everything else has been absolutely incredible. When else in my life could I go to the beach every Friday?? I also feel like I have learned so much in such a short time. I never knew anything about the cultural history of this place and I enjoy learning about the Yucatan area both in and out of class. Every day we encounter people who are so in love with Mexico that they just want to share it with us, like this man we met outside of the cathedral who took us on a mini tour. One of my favorite experiences has definitely been spending time in Puerto Morelos. Scuba diving was amazing as everyone else has said, but I also enjoyed going to the square to watch some kids perform traditional dances. It seems like there is always some kind of celebration going on with music and dancing, which is way different from life in the States. I also think this experience has been made that much better because of the family me and Blair are living with. Our mom, Gloria, is always so sweet and makes amazing food. From the moment we met her, she has been more than willing to help us with everything, from the busses to where we should go on the weekends. She has 3 daughters all with children, so the house is always lively when the grandchildren come over. I especially love playing with the kids in the pool and I already feel like part of this family. I’m sure there are more adventures to come!

Adios,

Sarah Swauger

No comments:

Post a Comment