Sunday, October 11, 2009

What a month its been... Kara Beer

Vida es buena... This is pretty much all I can say to describe my life thus far in Mexico. Each day I wake up, might I add drenched in sweat, but nontheless totally ready for an awesome day- which never fails to occur. My host family and I are starting to truly bond and I feel that I get closer each week with them. Every Wednesday Mama Melba, my Tia Norma, Rachel and I all go to the movies and then to dinner. The first week we were in our home stay Rachel and I suggested it might be fun to hang out together at the movies and its now become our weekly "thing". Our eighty-something mom and aunt decided to see "The Ugly Truth" one week and Rachel and I thought this would be good. Little did we know that there are some graphic scenes in the movie and they were certaintly not meant for the eyes and ears of little gray-haired eighty-year-olds. I remember looking over in several scenes and seeing my poor Tia Norma's hands over her mouth, with a wide-eyed expression of shock. Rachel and I were mortified and convinced our trips to the movies would have seen their last that night. However, much to our releif, when we walked out of the theatre they both wore wide grins and said nothing to us about the content of the movie. Perhaps the Spanish subtitles didnt translate the English exactly or perhaps Melba and Tia Norma are just a lot cooler than we ever expected- I'm going with the latter of the two. One of our latest exploits with my family was this past Friday when we went to Uxmal for the light and sound show. Rachel and I piled into the car with our Uncle Pepe and his wife Elina and quite literally raced to Uxmal. Pepe loves to drive as fast as he can and the roads can be a little rough, plus I'm sure we almost plowed down at least 3 people on bikes. Needless to say once we arrived I was quite happy. The light and sound show was so beautiful and we were able to literally sit on a ruin, while watching the ruins around us light up. There was a story and music that went along with the light show, however, my spanish skills are quite lacking and I picked up on about every fifth word. Despite not understanding the "sound" part of the show I had a wonderful time and am hoping to go back soon. Anyone up for a trip to Uxmal?!

No comments:

Post a Comment