Sunday, November 8, 2009

Thoughts-Sam

Warm pearls of sweat wet my upper lip and forehead. A swipe with the back of the hand and they’re gone. Two minutes later, they reappear. Yes, Mexico is hot. That’s a no-brainer. But being so hot, I cannot understand why in the world the people here aren’t just naked most of the time. I mean, okay, there are some people I would NOT want to see naked. Actually, more than some. A lot. But holy flying monkeys, why are you people always in jeans?! Sometimes sweater –type things. I’m sitting here in as little clothing as I can get away with and I’m still dripping with sweat. Isn’t it uncomfortable for you to have thick denim stick to your lusciously tan legs? Ahem. Lusciously tan, yes. Something I’ve been trying to work on but am not achieving. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no albino. I just want to look like you. I’ve got some of your features (long dark hair, dark eyes, not-white skin), but still no cigar. Hmm. I guess I have to stick with being a gringa, as cringe-worthy as that can be sometimes. As a gringuita, I stand out more. Also, I’m taller than you, so I stand out even more. Also, I’m dressed in shorts, simple tank tops, flippin’ Chacos while you’re wearing tight jeans, pretty shirts, and…hey I like your heels too. Too bad we’re not the same shoe size…. with your hair up all perfect and your eyes rimmed in black. How do you manage to not to sweat it all off? Sigh. You make me feel inadequate when I go to clubs. Sure I still get some male attention. But that’s only because I’m a gringa amongst other cute dancing gringas. And male attention is NOT what I’m seeking anyway. All of us get too much of that just walking down the street in our everyday clothes and frizzy hair. OH MAAAAI GAAAWD. WHERE DA PATY AT? Not anywhere around you, you creepy 40-something year old man in that sweaty t-shirt. Hey, why don’t you wipe that sweat off your face and keep your eyes to yourself? I’m just trying to do my business. I don’t need you to distract me as I strut down the streets of Merida and…..Oh, uuuuh. What’s going on? Did this bus seriously just stopped working in the middle of this busy street?......

No comments:

Post a Comment